Overview - CITY STEPS - VROOM, VROOM MACHINES LITERACY THEME K
Supports Literacy Development.
Reinforce speaking, listening, sharing, and literacy skills with the age-appropriate activities in these supplemental theme kits. Promote language acquisition and literacy development through informational texts and oral language activities.
CitySteps Literacy offers a powerful combination of materials for guided group activities and independent explorations that develop children’s oral language, print awareness, and emergent writing skills. Meet and exceed the accountability mandates for ELLCO (Early Language and Literacy Classroom Observation) and other program assessments.
Helps Students Develop:
• Oral Language
• Print Awareness
• Phonological Awareness
• Alphabet Knowledge
• Emergent Writing
• Amazing Animals - Where are animals found in the city? Amazing Animals encourages children to talk about animals they see in the air, on the ground, and in the water. Of course, some amazing animals are at the city zoo!
• Growing Things - Throughout the year, a city blooms with lots of colors. Growing Things encourages young children to talk about familiar plants, fruits, and vegetables in their community.
• Marvelous Me - Each child is unique. Marvelous Me gives young children an opportunity to talk about what they do to feel good about themselves and stay healthy.
• My Neighborhood - Every community is special. My Neighborhood presents opportunities for children to talk about the places they live, play, and visit in their neighborhoods.
• Vroom, Vroom Machines - Young children are fascinated with how things work. Vroom, Vroom Machines explores vehicles in the city that help people, transport people, and are used to build lots of things.
• Weather Watcher - What’s the weather outside? Weather Watcher explores different types of weather as well as what children wear and can do on sunny, snowy, rainy, or cloudy days.
Each Kit includes:
• a nonfiction lap book
• story roll-ups with teacher’s notes
• think-along story cards
• 10 literacy center activity cards
• Jumbo Reading Rods (56 picture Rods and 84 letter Rods)
• 21 literacy snapshot picture cards
• dramatic play kit with teacher’s notes
• literacy theme guide