- PCI Education is the number one provider of resources for students with special needs.
- The company distributes more than 7,500 instructional materials, including educational programs, games, software, worksheets, and manipulatives.
- PCI Education offers the widest variety of resources for students with special needs, which makes it easy for teachers to find exactly what they need quickly.
- The company’s resources blend academics with life skills, to help students with special needs function independently and responsibly within their communities.
- PCI Education helps teachers lead their students to success in school, at home and in the community.
- Jeffrey T. McLane and Janie Haugen-McLane founded the company in 1991.
Products & Services
- Experts develop instructional materials adapted for every population, which blend research-based insights with best classroom practices.
- PCI Education products are suitable for students with learning differences as well as intellectual and developmental disabilities such as autism, mental retardation and Down’s syndrome.
- The company’s products can also be used in English language learner and adult literacy classes, and to help students performing below grade level.
- Products are highly visual, with a clean and uncluttered layout to assist struggling learners, and lesson plans include many tactile and kinesthetic activities to foster motivation and retention.
- National board-certified consultants work with districts to develop comprehensive education plans that successfully implement custom curriculum solutions.
Awards & Accolades
- 2010 - The Association of Educational Publisher
- 2009 - The Association of Educational Publishers
- 2008 – The Association of Educational Publishers
- 2007 – The Association of Educational Publishers
- Ongoing – Achievers’ Center for Education
- Each week, students from the Achievers’ program work with PCI Education staff to build real-world professional experiences by assisting with day-to-day office responsibilities in every department of the company.
- Council for Exceptional Children
- Division on Developmental Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities Association of America
- Council for Learning Disabilities
- The Association of Educational Publishers
PCI Education is the number one provider of resources for students with special needs. The company distributes more than 7,500 instructional materials for a wide range of students with special needs, including learning differences as well intellectual and developmental disabilities such as autism, mental retardation and Down’s syndrome. In addition, the company’s products are used in English language learner and adult literacy classes, and to help students performing below grade level.
PCI Education was founded in 1991 by Janie Haugen-McLane and Jeff McLane who had a vision of improving the quality of life for every learner. Unable to locate instructional programs that were both effective and enjoyable for learners, Janie Haugen-McLane began creating her own programs “out of necessity.”
Haugen-McLane designed a curriculum to teach children and adults with mental retardation and developmental disabilities to be successful in the subject of “life.” In hopes of engaging these individuals, Haugen-McLane opted for a board game format over standard methods of instruction. Her first games, created from foam board and stickers, taught basic skills necessary for handling “real-life” situations, with each game focusing on a specific skill area. PCI Education started with the fundamental guiding principle to teach individuals basic life skills by creating stimulating learning environments that nurture personal and academic growth. This fundamental principal continues to guide the company today.
Today, PCI Education, a San Antonio-based company, publishes more than 700 proprietary products for individuals with varying abilities and learning differences. While the company’s comprehensive life skills programs have been a mainstay since their introduction, the core product line has been dramatically expanded to reach new markets, and encompass new curriculum areas and product formats.
PCI Education also is a successful marketer and publisher of supplemental instructional materials. The company’s contributing authors and full-time staff of educators design products for several diverse markets, including special education, at-risk, English language learners, and adult education. PCI Education markets its proprietary products, as well as products distributed for other publishers, through a growing outside sales force, educational conferences, a comprehensive Web site, and by direct mail.
PCI Education also publishes several market-specific catalogs semi-annually, corresponding to the academic school year. These catalogs are mailed to approximately six million teachers and administrators in school districts nationwide. The company’s next phase of growth is concentrating on continuing to build a national outside sales force. PCI Education attributes most of its prosperity to its products, both print and technology, that are unique in the marketplace in their approach to offering curriculum content in the context of real-world applications and settings.
This fusion of content and real-world applications is accomplished through the collaborative efforts of the company’s in-house creative department and staff of educators, including experts in the field of special education, learning disabilities, English language learners, and adult education. The PCI Education team of educators, authors, editors, and designers works closely to create innovative programs with “real-life” applications, placing particular emphasis on quality and educational value.